Thursday 2 February 2012

Girls being taught make-up at school - which side of the fence do you sit on?

I've recently read an article in The Daily Mail, which has absolutely infuriated me. It was about a school in Leeds that now offers make up lessons to their pupils, aged 14 and upwards. This has obviously caused outrage. To me, this just seems that society has become so delusional and over-obsessed with the 'over-sexualisation' of young girls, that they cannot see the benefits of a young girl trying to improve, or actually learn the beginnings of, personal presentation.

The article says that parents "don't send their daughters to school to learn how to put make up on but to receive a decent education". The Daily Mail has a predominantly conservative bias. Therefore, I find it quite ironic that the conservative party and our prime minister David Cameron, are encouraging education over vocation, and yet, are making it increasingly difficult for our generation to receive and education that goes beyond that of A-level. These subjects, it would therefore appear, are becoming more and more relevant in our classrooms. The classes are being taught outside of school time and with parents' permission, and so therefore are not disrupting their education and are furthermore, keeping the kids off the streets, quelling what is a very prominent and realistic problem in today's society.

Further to what I have mentioned above, it is also true that not every child is academic and so could flourish in a class such as this. It is a well known fact that a child behaves better (and even some adults) when they enjoy the subject that is being taught or discussed. Boys are taught 'woodwork' or football, but yet these lessons do not seem to be seen in the same light, when they too are vocational. Parents, and apparently the government, according to the article, are worried about seeing young girls in an overly-sexualised manner, which is currently being promoted by society. They are so worried that in fact, it is almost as though we are reverting back to the days when women were forbidden to improve or enhance their physical selves for fear of what society would think. Did the fight for equality even happen?

The article goes on to say that make up is something that should be taught in the home, however this is clearly not always possible. Many mothers, including my own do not have the first clue when it comes to skincare and make up, so how exactly is it going to be passed down? To go back to the idea of how much society has 'moved on', many mothers are not always a constant figure in their childrens' lives, or simply don't have the time. More women work longer hours, as well as having jobs in which you cannot wear a lot of make up, so how is the child expected to learn?

"It's far too early" is the cry from some mothers in the article, however it is my belief that this is a completely unrealistic viewpoint. At age 14 a young girl is not only very aware of her appearance, but is also developing a personality that will resemble that which she will develop into adult years. Not only this, but children are now having to make very important decisions and choices at a very young age. I know that at the age of 14, I was already contemplating what I wanted to do when I was older, in terms of what degree I was to study, where I would study it and what subjects and grades I would need in order to achieve it. I was 16 when I picked out my career path that I was expected to follow for the rest of my adult life. To say I've veered from that is an understatement, so why can we not add a bit of variety to school life in order to broaden a young girl's horizons and opportunities?

When this kind of thing isn't taught at home, young girls are getting it exceedingly wrong, with the final look being that of a beheaded oopma loompa, or worse, Groucho Marx, and thus becoming the talk of the adults who are failing to correct them. The schools are hiring professionals, and being a professional make up artist, I know that I would cater to my client. I would never teach young girls how to do their make up like Jordan, but more how to look after their skin by choosing the right skincare products, as well as how to enhance their natural beauty through the correct use and placement of make up. The basics, in other words. What they chose to do with make up once they are adults is completely up to them, but at least they have a foundation to fall back on, or for some, a springboard for self expression, or a very successful career.

What I find completely baffling is that they can make choices about what they want to do for the rest of their lives but not how to present themselves in such an image conscious society. Surely knowing how to present their hair, make up and nails will only benefit them in such a society? For me, it has provided a job and a lifestyle that I adore, and one that is filled with so much opportunity.

Don't get me wrong, I am not discouraging an education in any way. I myself have a good degree from a red-brick university but given the choice, I have chosen to follow my passion of make up. It would be fair to say that being academic at school, I probably wasn't given the choice but was more expected to go to university than take up a career in make-up. Should I have had these lessons made available to me at school, maybe I wouldn't have wasted so much money gaining a degree that I may never use. At least I had the choice though, something I'm sure David Cameron and his coalition government is going to ruin for our younger generations.

Sorry for getting so political girls, this is just a topic that I felt I had to discuss!!

No comments:

Post a Comment