Thursday 8 November 2012

Hair Loss

I don't care how vain it sounds, my hair was my thing. We all have things that we love and hate about ourselves. I'm not particularly in love with my body but I am confident and secure enough to be ok with it. I do my best with what I've got. I love food and I hate the gym so I can deal with a few rolls here and there. But my hair was always the one thing that I liked about myself. My mum is a hairdresser so I have had the luxury of having my hair professionally styled at the drop of a hat but despite this, even when I did my hair myself, it always did what it was told to do and I was always complimented on the colour or style. 

I wouldn't say that my hair was particularly thick, and I wouldn't sit there and think, "wow my hair is lovely", I just kind of took it for granted. It wasn't until I started losing my hair last year that you realise how precious your hair is. When you're having a day when you don't feel great, as long as your hair is done nicely and you have some nice baggy clothes or a nice winter coat to hide behind, everything would be fine. The more I washed my hair the more it fell out and the further into denial I fell. Until it got to the point where I simply could not ignore it anymore. My body was covered in hairs that were deciding to jump ship from my head. I was doing a client's make up one day when I looked down to my brush belt to find it completely covered in hairs. I was devastated, but quite frankly, without sounding cocky, I had it to lose. It got worse though. Having never had to wear extensions before, I now had to wear them all the time. This was more for my own confidence rather than anything else because I now know that so many people have got hair that is similar to mine. But I was used to having a mane and so this is probably why it has hit me so hard. 

Initially I was quite depressed over it because I didn't know if it was going to stop or whether it was just going to keep going until I looked like a female Matt Lucas. In addition to my hair falling out, I was also coming out in bruises all over my body, and was tired pretty much all of the time. I put this down to working 7 days a week but I thought it best to go to the doctors. They carried out all kinds of tests but they all came back saying that there wasn't anything wrong and that I was fit and healthy. Apart from a low b12 and iron count, I was fine.

I started taking vitamin b and iron supplements, which I think has helped a lot but also I have been using an amazing Shampoo called Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo. It has honestly been amazing. I have tried every hair loss shampoo under the sun but none of them really helped - this one has without a doubt. From the first usage, I could see that there was less hairs coming out, and then pretty soon my hair loss returned to the normal few that you lose when you wash your hair anyway. I'm absolutely over the moon. I also use the treatment, which you put in after you have towel dried your hair and it gives you this amazing tingling sensation across your head, which makes me think that good things are happening!

In addition to this, I've been taking Sea Kelp tablets from Holland and Barrett, which have also really helped my hair to grow, I now have little baby hair fluff all over my head. I may not get all my hair back but I'm absolutely over the moon that it's not falling out anymore and it's all thanks to this amazing Shampoo! 

No comments:

Post a Comment