Monday 27 August 2012

Making it as a Make Up Artist!

We have seen in recent years a great rise in the number of make up wearers. Wearing make up, and a lot of it has become very popular. This is of course thanks to celebs such as Katie Price, Jessie J, as well as the Kardashians, to name but a few. This then led to the rise in youtube tutorials and such like, with people wanting to recreate these looks for themselves. Youtube is where my make up journey started. I have always been interested in make up, and from a young age I always had a make up box that I would play around with and investigate new ways to apply make up. Usually it was stuff that I had robbed from my mum's make up bag. I started watching tutorials on youtube and it was when I watched the very first pixiwoo tutorial that I realised how much I loved make up. It was a Marilyn Monroe tutorial and Sam was about 8 months pregnant on it. From then on, I became obsessed with make up and after completing Sam and Nic's course I saw make up as a career rather than just a passion. This was 4 years ago now and ever since then I have been honing my skills and learning new things every day. I want to take these skills further to eventually be at the top of my game. It may take me 20 years but is something that I am prepared to dedicate my life to. If there is one thing that you can say about me, it's that I love my job! 

Now there are so many people who call themselves 'Make Up Artists' and they make it a lot harder for people who really want to succeed in the industry. I am by no means where I want to be, but over the past 4 years I have worked hard to practice, broaden my artistic skills as well as my people skills, my knowledge about new techniques and products as well as trend awareness. I read books, fashion magazines, watch youtube tutorials and most of all, get stuck in and don't let my fear of something stop me from trying it. I have to work for free a lot of the time to broaden my portfolio but I know that it will all be worth it in the end and I know that this is the career that I want to be in for a long time, and nothing comes without hard work and persistence. We can all be a little bit lazy sometimes and the temptation can be to go where the money is, or to give up because we can't be bothered. Things don't happen overnight so all I can stay is stick with it! 

Another great tip is to decide what kind of make up you want to do and get as much experience as you can, whether it be fashion, film and TV or just a make up artist who provides occasion make up for girls in Liverpool. But whatever it is, don't be put off by the people who are charging less than you and who get all the work. Because if you work hard, it will pay off! I didn't think 4 years ago that I would be where I am today, and I still have a VERY long way to go! Make connections, work hard, smile and most of all BE A NICE PERSON!!!

1 comment: