Wednesday 23 May 2012

Chanel Perfection Lumiere vs MAC Matchmaster

Foundation is one of those things that I am obsessed with. I am forever in search of that amazing foundation, that will change my life. Dramatic I know! Now I have some amazing favourites, yet I am always trying new ones to update my kit and to keep abreast of what kind of products are on the market now. Recently there have been some absolutely gorgeous foundations released and amazingly, a lot of them are matte. In recent years that 'dewy glow' has been so prominent that it was difficult to find a matte foundation that was as technically advanced as some of the dewy ones that were on the market. However this is all about to change as thankfully matte skin is back in fashion! This is like music to my ears as I have to wear a matte foundation because of my oily skin!

Chanel, MAC and Clarins are just some of the cosmetic companies to have released beautiful new matte foundations. This new generation of matte foundation veers away from the heavy coverage that most matte foundations give and are virtually undetectable on the skin. Matte foundation has always tended to be heavier in coverage because of the misconception that people with an oilier skin have things that they want to cover up. In many cases this is true yet its not true for all cases, hence why this new generation of foundation is fantastic.

Chanel has yet again released another beautiful foundation, one set to replace Pro Lumiere in their product range. I'm gutted that Chanel has decided to discontinue Pro Lumiere and I don't think I will ever find a foundation like it, although rumour has it that the new clinique repairwear laser focus is very similar. Perfection Lumiere is a matte, medium coverage foundation that comes in a greater shade range than Chanel usually offer. It is silky smooth on the skin and doesn't look dry or cakey like some matte foundations usually do. Whilst it doesn't set on the skin, it does feel quite sturdy although I was a bit worried about my oils coming through as it didn't feel like it really gave me the completely matte finish that I need. My face was shiny after about 4/5 hours which is nothing that a bit of powder won't fix. It was overall a nice foundation although I found the smell overpowering. In the long term I don't think it will ever be my go-to foundation as it didn't last long enough and isn't "wow" enough for me. 






MAC has released a new foundation called 'Matchmaster' which thankfully, has colours which cross the middle ground between the NWs and the NCs. The idea behind this foundation is that it matches your skin colour through a clear particle that enables your true colour to show through. It does set and it offers a nice coverage, again without feeling heavy or cakey. Overall, I found this to be very similar to the chanel perfection lumiere however, it doesn't have the overly fragranced smell to it. The only qualm is that too much of this and the skin looks chalky - but if you want to build the coverage up then why not go for a foundation such as Studio Fix Fluid, which is one of the more old school matte foundation with tons of coverage (and still my favourite after all of these years). 






If I was choosing between the two, I would have to go for the MAC, not only because I felt that it lasted longer and was less fragranced (and so therefore caused less worries about breakouts) you also get 40ml for £24.50 whereas the chanel is £34 for just 30ml. For a foundation that is practically the same, I would much rather go for the matchmaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment